20 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

Even if it seems like our pets can eat anything we shouldn’t be letting them. Just like us, there are some foods that can be destructive to their health and consumption of these should be limited or prevented. If you really love your dog you should never give it any of the 20 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog.

No matter how cute they are when they beg for food, tell yourself it’s for their own good. If you need to keep their diets healthy so do they. 
 
1.    Chocolate

Chocolate is something that most owners take for granted because it tastes so good. But remember to limit this to human consumption because the compound theobromine found in chocolates is dangerous to pets. It might take several hours for signs of sickness to show and common symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, heart rate increase, seizures and death. A Chocolate’s most dangerous form are cocoa powder and cooking chocolate so make sure you don’t let your pet in the kitchen when you have these. Also, your children could feed the dog chocolates if they are unaware of the dangers it poses so you should warn your kids about this as well. 

2.    Onions/Garlic

Better watch our leftovers because these two are common ingredients in our dishes. They contain a toxic substance called thiosulphate that will cause haemolytic anemia if ingested by our furry friends. It can take a couple of days for symptoms like labored breathing, vomiting, diarreah and discoloured urine to show, but you should bring the dog to a Vet if they do. Onion is more dangerous so make sure to take these two out if you intend to feed your dog from the table. 

3.     Mushrooms

Mushrooms are also dangerous to our pets. It’s important to hold on to your dogs leash when you’re hiking or strolling in a park because mushrooms grow abundantly in these areas. Dogs after all are curious things and they might end up chewing and even swallowing a mushroom if it piques their interest. Amanita phalloides seems to be the most common dangerous mushroom and ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, liver damage, drooling and even death.

 

4.    Grapes/Raisins

We all love grapes and it’s hard to believe that they are dangerous to our pets, but they are. It will take a lot though before the dog becomes ill and exhibit symptoms like abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. So if you want your dog to taste luxury, it might be better for you to just go buy it some expensive dog food; you can keep the grapes for yourself.

5.    Macadamia Nuts

These nuts are dangerous to our pets like most other nuts. They contain phosphorus that can result in the development of bladder stones in our dogs. It also only takes a handful of these nuts to affect our dog so make sure you keep it away from them. Typical signs of sickness are swollen limbs, inability to get up, panting, elevated body temperature and fast heart rate. Nuts are mixed into a lot of food so make sure you avoid feeding your pets with these.

 

6.    Milk and other Dairy Products

Just like us, some pets can be lactose intolerant. If you are one then make sure your dog isn’t before you give them some milk. Symptoms are diarrhea and bad stomach aches.

 

7.    Raw Fish

Dogs aren’t like us, they might like sushi but it doesn’t mean it’s good for them. So make sure you keep your dogs away from uncooked fish because they can be fatal. It will take a week or two for the dangerous symptoms to show but if you notice your dog vomiting, going through a  fever and having big lymph nodes you better call a Vet. If you really want your pets to taste the salmon or trout you painstakingly fished, then you better cook it first.

 

8.    Raw Eggs

These can cause salmonella poisoning and should be avoided. They also contain an enzyme that can affect the dog’s skin and coat. So leave the raw eggs to the body builders and just give your dog some proper dog food.
 

9.    Fat Trimmings

If fat is bad for you, it’s bad for your dog a swell. So don’t just through strips of extra fat you don’t want to eat to your dog. If you know it’s bad and you don’t want to eat it, why would you let your dog have it? Too much fat can lead to pancreatitis which is an extremely painful condition.

 

10.    Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources

Ok we’ve all seen it in movies, dogs love to eat bones. It is true that they love them but it doesn’t mean that they are healthy. Swallowed bones can damage the digestive system because they are hard and sharp. So it’s best to forget the stereotype and give your dog softer, digestion friendly treats.

11.    Cat food

It says cat food which pretty much explains why dogs shouldn’t eat it. Most cat foods are high in protein and fat which tend to be unhealthy for dogs. So if you have a cat and a dog at home, don’t be cheap and start buying only one type of food.

 

12.    Tomatoes

The plant itself is more dangerous but the fruit is toxic to a dog as well. This usually isn’t a problem since most dogs prefer meat over vegetables but there are a few out there. Also tomatoes are a very common ingredient for most foods so you better watch out for these. Consumption of too much can give your dog tremors and heart arrhythmias.


13.    Avocado

These are tasty but they can be dangerous to animals. They contain a substance known as persin which can be found in almost all its parts and even the fruit. These are harmless to humans but they can make your dog sick if it eats too much. Avocado is a common fruit in the tropical areas of the world so if you have one of these, make sure you don’t let your dog go near it.

 

14.    Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums

Tasty fruits and very colourful but keep your dogs away. The fruit itself isn’t dangerous but the seeds and the pit are. These can cause intestinal obstruction so it’s best that you don’t feed these to your dogs, or at least remove the seeds and pits first if you really want to. Dogs tend to eat everything and can’t discriminate between what’s edible and what’s not.

 

15.    Nutmeg

Is usually a safe nut but if consumed in large quantities it can become dangerous even to humans. It contains a substance called myristicin which has unpleasant side effects. Also like most nuts this also contains phosphorus which can result in the development of bladder stones. Typical symptoms you’ll notice from your dog if it has taken too much are tremors and seizures which can lead to death.

 

16.    Sugarless candy and other items that contain xylitol

These can drop your pet’s blood sugar and result in liver failure. This is because Xylitol has the effect of raising the insulin of the dog, circulating around its body. Symptoms of this are lethargy, vomiting and inability to coordinate movement. So make sure you check the nutrition facts and ingredients section of food that you decide to give to your dog.

 

17.    Uncooked bread dough

Two things can result from eating bread dough, one is it can cause alcohol poisoning because of the yeast from the bread and two it can rise inside the stomach which can be very painful for the dog. So keep your dog away from the kitchen when you are baking or at least place the dough in an area that the dog can’t reach.

 

18.    Alcohol

If the stuff is bad for us, it is for our pets as well. Actually it’s even worse because they are smaller than us and it takes less of the stuff to affect them. Too much alcohol can cause vomiting, problems with coordination, diarrhea and even death. So keep the alcohol to yourself or better yet stop drinking it and live a healthy life with your furry friend.

 

19.    Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine

Caffeine is dangerous to our dogs and even to humans if taken in large quantities. These can result in palpitations, restlessness, fits and bleeding. So keep food like coffee, cocoa, tea and other sports drinks that have the substance away from your dog.

 

20.    Salt

Too much salt can lead to sodium ion poisoning so keep your dogs food healthy. Salty foods like chips, salted fries and pretzels should be kept away from the dog. Too much can cause death and early symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting, high body temperature and seizures. Once again, if it’s bad for us it’s most likely bad for our dogs as well.