"ROLL OVER" Trick
Though “SIT”, “DOWN”, and “STAND” are practical commands to use when you want to examine your dog, it is good the dog be able to roll over. Here’s how:
- Give the command “DOWN”. Reposition your dog so as he is lying on his side, both hind legs stretched on the same side.
- Move the lure on the side of his nose by bringing it behind his ears.
- Give the command “ROLL OVER” (At the beginning, help your dog by turning him yourself). Move the lure toward the dog’s shoulders, and he will start to turn over. When he does, congratulate him with the SR “SOUND + GOOD!”, and reward him.
- if you continue to move the lure, the dog will roll on his back. If you want to sow the dog to “play dead”, take a break in this position, and congratulate him with the SR “SOUND + GOOD!”, and reward him.
- In order to make him do a complete turn, continue to move the lure, in a fluid gesture, until the dog is back in the “DOWN” position.
“BANG! YOU’RE DEAD”
- Say “NAME + DOWN” to the dog, and give him the command “ BANG! YOUR’RE DEAD!”. Place your index finger on the head of your dog to simulate a gun to his temple, and push away the dog’s head on the ground.
- Wait a few seconds; release the dog with the cue “ O.K.”, and congratulate the dog with the “SOUND + GOOD!” if he remains in position.
- When the dog understands the command as you place the “GUN” (your index finger) on his temple, you can practice these commands at a distance. Tell him “BANG! YOU’RE DEAD!”, and wait until the dog position himself. Then, release the dog from the command with the release cue “O.K.”, and congratulate him with the SR “ SOUND + GOOD!”. If the dog doesn’t respond correctly, ignore him, the give him the command once more.