How to obtain desired results with a leash
- With the hand holding the
The target is placed at the height of the dog's head, on your thigh. For smaller , crouch down for the first exercises involving the . Give the command to "HEEL", and take a few steps.
and the reward, position your dog properly, seated at your side. Always leave a little slack in the . The same hand ( / reward) becomes the target to position the dog in "HEEL" mode.
- While shaking the lure in the left hand, take five rapid steps. If he reacts well, that is, if he executes the walk without tugging at his , congratulate him by giving him the SR "SOUND + GOOD!" and giving him a treat. A moving dog that maintains his position at your leg deserves a reward from time to time. At the beginning of the education, give him rewards while in movement, as well as stationary. As he performs better and better, limit the rewards to the moments you stop. The should always form a loose curve
- After having executed the five steps, stop walking and give the command "NAME + SIT", while doing the appropriate gesture with the right hand. Release the dog with the 'OK." cue, congratulate him with the SR "SOUND + GOOD!", and redo the exercise.
- Take a few extra steps (10-15); the dog must "Sir' as soon as you stop. If he doesn't, give him the command "SIT". After a while, the dog will develop the reflex to sit right after stopping.
- Challenge your dog by walking, accelerating and slowing down with no warning. The dog must follow the unpredictable rhythm so as to maintain the loose curve in the . If he lags behind, don't help him by slowing down, but rather, do the opposite. Do not relinquish control. It is he who should adjust, so that the loose tension can be maintained. If he pulls at it, give a little tug, give the VW "HEY!", and change direction, all the while remaining mobile. Give the command to "HEEL" once more. If he gives you the required performance by maintaining his position and keeping the loose, congratulate him. (SR "SOUND + GOOD!")
The act of "HEELLNG" is comprised of a series of commands - "SIT” and “HEEL". If the dog has difficulty, do it gradually; a few additional steps per sequence are enough. In order to recapture the dog's attention, it is sometimes necessary to use the spray. Change speed and direction frequently. When the dog shows significant progress, bring him on the street. Make frequent pauses, telling your dog to "STOP" at each corner. Take frequent walks with your dog, and both of you will benefit.
How to execute turns: To practice turns with your dog, place two chairs in a way that the dog has to pass on the left, then on the right of the chair in a "figure-eight' pattern. Practice at variable speeds, showing the dog to turn on the same side as you. When the dog succeeds, congratulate him (SR "SOUND + GOOD!").