How to Stop Your Dog from Stealing
Step 1: Adjustment Period
- Fill the bowl of with 50% of the portion your dog usually eats.
- If you have followed the section on education, tell him "NAME + Sir, then tell him "STAY". If he tries to get to the , give him the VW "HEYI + SHORT SPRAY" with an assertive tone, and withdraw the bowl before he can get to it.
- Redo the exercise until the remains in place, in front of the bowl.
- Then, say 'O.K:, give him the SR "SOUND + GOOD!" and let him eat everything.
- Give him the rest of the meal, always saving "OK." before giving him any .
Step 2: The dog is put to the test
- Keep a treat on hand, and open your hand as if you were going to give , but without saving "O.K.".
- If he tries to take the , tell him "HEY!" with an assertive tone, and promptly remove the lure.
- Wait a few seconds before saving "OK."; gradually increase waiting time before giving to the dog.
- Let some fall to the floor. If he tries to eat the lure, promptly give him the VW "HEYI + SHORT SPRAY". If he stays in place for a few seconds, give him the "O.K.", and the SR "SOUND + GOOD!".
- Practice the exercise from a distance, when your dog thinks you're absent. Innocently, let a piece of chicken fall to the floor during supper, and leave the room. The dog must not touch it until he has heard the release cue "OK.".
Dogs that wander freely inside or outside are likely to forage in the garbage. Dogs are programmed to go through the garbage, and they don't always discriminate between what is edible, and what isn't, like plastic, wood, rocks, cardboard - all substances that we throw out that can really make a de sick, or worse still, cost him his life.
- Place a garbage bag filled with paper and chicken (irresistible for a dog), and wait until he goes to get it.
- Every time the dog approaches the bag, give him the VW "HEYI + SHORT SPRAY" with an assertive tone. If the dog remains immobile for more than five minutes, give him the SR "SOUND + GOOD!", and reward him.
- Do this exercise many times a day, in various places, with different garbage cans and soon, the dog will never again go through the garbage.
- Recommendation: practice the exercise from a distance without using the verbal command. This will inhibit the dog going through the garbage when you're not there.
This technique applies to any object you don't want the d to touch. Frequent education sessions will clear up the problem.
Note: The Spray Barrier device can be used whet you are not there to watch the dog. If the dog steals, while you're gone for long periods of time, place t barrier wherever the thefts are being committed. The device in question can be installed at the ex;. place where the dog is most likely to steal. T receiver on the collar will be automatically activated at the moment the dog approaches the emitter. T system can be activated whenever you are not home.