Inappropriate Spraying in Cats
It must be kept in mind that urinary spraying is normal behavior, and becomes inappropriate if done in the. This type of pattern can be identified by urinary spraying at many places. Both male and female cats that were not operated on do this. It is particularly predominant where a non-spayed male reaches sexual maturity. Spraying is done standing, with hind legs straight, tail straight and quivering. The cat can also stomp, alternating limbs. The urine is sprinkled horizontally on vertical surfaces. An environment with many cats, the presence of a cat in heat, excessive punishment a move, the presence or passing of an unknown cat the death of a person, fear of certain noises (especially thunder) and a return from vacation are all possible causes for spraying.
Stages in behavior modification
- Clean the soiled spots with soapy water. Avoid products which contain ammonia.
- Spay or neuter your pet. However, 10% of males and 5% of females will continue spraying after the operation.
- Using the reward, coupled with interactive correction from a distance ( spray) I very efficient for reducing this behavior.
- Try finding the cause and eliminating it.
- If the cat sprays when he sees another cat on his territory, it is recommended to keep the curtains closed for long periods.}
- If the cat sprays at the introduction of a new object in the area, you must then monitor the displacements of the cat at any moment. We suggest keeping the cat on a when you introduce a new object to your surroundings. If the cat is poised to spray, give him the spray.
- If the cat continues spraying even after you have attempted, you may have to us medication.
- Using synthetic pheromones for a period of thirty days could also reduce the incidence of inappropriate spraying.
Aggression for Play: The cat was weaned too soon, and was raised by a human. He didn’t have the chance to play with other kittens, and to learn the limits of aggressiveness through games. These cats have a tendency to project this aggressiveness on humans. This aggression must be neutralized with direct means, such as interactive correction form a distance. The cat must wear the collar this particular application. In this case, the aggression is stopped by using thespray to interrupt, then redirect his activity towards a spray.