Procedure to counter chasing
- When the dog begins to pursue and that you cannot get his attention, give him the VW “HEY!” + SHORT SPRAY. If the dog does not stop, switch to the long spray.
- Once you have gotten the dog´s attention with the device, redirect him with a basic command, while waiting for him to leave his territory on more.
- If he returns to your side, congratulate him by giving him the SR “SOUND + GOOD”, but withhold the treat. Whenever the dog shows his predatory instincts, it is strongly recommended that you use the command “NAME + COME“ + SHORT SPRAY. If recall doesn´t work, give the command “NAME + STAY”
- Each time the dog shows sings of wanting to use his predatory instincts, the behavior must be redirected towards the “COME / STAY” combination of commands.
- If you interrupted his pursuit with the long spray, nothing more needs to be said or done. Remain neutral, as there is a risk of reinforcing the very behavior you wish to avoid.
- After the dog has remained 5 minutes without using his predatory instincts, you can practice certain obedience exercises before congratulating him (SR "SOUND + GOOD!") and giving him a reward.
Do the exercise when your dog thinks that you are absent
Set your dog free and hide. Make sure that the offending stimulus is well within the dog´s sight. As soon as the run runs towards the target, trigger the long spray (without using the VW). Here is the procedure which you must follow if you have mastered the section in Section 3 entitled "Learning the 10 basic commands". Before you begin, you must create a pursuit scenario for your dog.
- Then, use the "NAME + STAY" command for short distances. Give the command, and congratulate the dog if he stops moving (SR SOUND + GOOD!"), then reward him.
- Combine "NAME + STAY" with the "COME" command; surprise the dog regularly with this combination of commands. If he doesn't react appropriately, use the VW "HEY!" + SHORT SPRAY simultaneously.
- If the dog doesn´t master the command "STAY" from a distance, just use the "COME" command. However, it is more efficient to use the "COME" and "STAY" combination.
- It is possible that you might have to use the maximum setting on your spray device if the dog is submitted to a strong stimulation.
- It is imperative to congratulate the dog if he returns by your side.
- For practice, go to a place where the dog is likely not to hear you.
- The command "FETCH" is recommended to help your dog expend his excess energy.
- Practice desensitization and counter-conditioning.