Sequence Chart 2: Obedience Training
The dog understands the commands:
Procedure to follow to steer a distracted dog that doesn't respect commands
Use the steps enumerated below only if the dog has a clear understanding 01 commands, and has executed the command correctly many times before. Once the dog has demonstrated that he understands the command but is unwilling to execute it for some reason or other, thespray will quickly redirect your dog towards the desired command or action.
- Using the appropriate hand gesture, give a command. Show your dog what you want him to do by moving the lure towards the target position.
- When the dog executes the anticipated action, that is, if he performs within the live seconds which follow the command, give him the SR "SOUNO + GOOO!"
- Free the dog from the command by saving "O.K.", or by giving him another command.
- Reward him with or a favorite by giving it a few seconds after or during the SR. At the beginning, rewards accelerate the rhythm of the learning process. When the dog manages to execute a command at each attempt, you may gradually decrease the use of lures.
- If the dog doesn't react to the command, that ¡s, doesn't execute it within 5 seconds, give him the VW "HEY!" without the spray as a warning, and repeat the command.
- II the dog has responded to the command, but not at first attempt, give him the SR without a reward.
- If, after having given him the command, the dog still refuses to comply, give him the VW “HEY!” + SHORT SPRAY and repeat the command.
- If the dog responds properly, give him the SR "SOUND + GODO!" without a reward.
- If he resists, use the VW "HEY!" + LONG SPRAY and return to step 1.
A Good Education = Good Behavior: II the dog acts well, let him know you're satisfied by giving him the SR" SOUND + GOOD!", by petting him and giving him some. When the dog returns to your side after having executed a command, congratulate him (reward is optional). When you praise your dog for good behavior, the dog will do anything to recreate this situation. The dog must be brought to enjoy obeying commands. It is important not to give the reward before having given the secondary reinforcement.