The search for a person or an object : "Bring to", "Bring the in"
After having learned the names of objects, you ca show your dog the names 01 members of your family, he can go to them to deliver an object
- Even if your dog has heard the names of the members your family many times, do not take for granted that dog will respond to each one of them by name. Show by playing a game called "hot/cold ". When the dog nears the right person, say "GOOD!/HOT! ", and when h the opposite, say " COLD " with an assertive tone, so he will know that he 's going in the wrong direction the search, repeat the command many times, if need be. Start with a person that is easy to find, and gradually increase the difficulty. If the dog finds the right I praise him by repeating the name of the person he (" SOUND! MAX! ") Tell him to sit, congratulate hi the SR "SOUND + GOOD!" and reward him.
Note: Make the dog “SIT” before rewarding him; this way, the dog will be accustomed to always “SIT” it there is a message to bring to someone.
- Practice with the same person until the dog ha: accustomed to respond well to the command. Repeat command by substituting the names of all the members of the family. Once the dog knows all the names, challenge him by placing all the members of the family in the same room, and ask the dog to identify each person in turn, such as “FIND MAX – SOUND + GOOD!”, “FIND JOHANNE – SOUND – GOOD!”, etc.
- Each time the dog identifies a person correctly, congratulate him with he SR “SOUND + GOOD!”, and reward him.
When your dog is comfortable with this exercise, give an object o the dog, and give him the command to go and get someone, and give him/her the object he is carrying, such as a book, a set of keys, etc. A dog loves to serve and can save you some steps. Here is how:
- Take an object, and give the command “TAKE”; if the dog takes the object, congratulate him with the SR “SPUND + GOOD!”.
- Give him the command “BRING IT TO MAX” “FETCH MAX”.
- The dog knows the name “MAX”, and will therefore go to him with the object. Max will congratulate him with the SR “SOUND + GOOD!”, and a reward. If the dog drops the object before your having said “GIVE”, say “HEY”, with no spray.
Variation: If you feel like really treating yourself, train your dog to pick up the dirty clothes off the floor, and put them in the clothes hamper. Here´s how:
Place the clothes on the floor, anywhere in the. Give the command “CLEAN”, which comprises two sub-commands: “TAKE”, and “HAMPER”. Repeat both commands until the dog understands what is expected of him. If necessary, escort him to the hamper while you say “CLEAN”. Once arrived at the hamper, congratulate him with the SR “SOUND + GOOD!”, give him the command “GIVE” so that he can deposit the piece of clothing in the hamper. If he is incapable of placing the clothes in the hamper, place his head near it and say “GIVE”; help him drop the piece into the right place, if need be. When he manages to drop the piece in the hamper, reward him with his favourite treat. Redo the exercise with another piece of clothing, Always tell him “CLEAN” first, because the aim of this exercise is that the dog execute the complete task with only one command. It is possible that even if he knows the command well, he will not execute the entire task with only one command. Give him the command once more, and reward him only once the task has been totally completed. You can have the dog “CLEAN”, then you can give him his morning meal. Repeating these sequences will allow you to check if the dog has well assimilated what he is supposed to do, and if he does it well. A dog that can do this will save you some time, while keeping himself busy and useful.