The Ten Basic Commands
"SIT', 'DOWN", "STAND", "STAY", "COME", "HEEL", "PLACE", 'GIVE", "DONT TOUCH", and "STOP".
The Frequency of Education Sessions: In order to maintain your dog’s interest, begin with an easy exercise, and congratulate him every time. When the dog has demonstrated that he understands, that is, he has executed the command five consecutive times, reduce the use of lures to 1 per three good actions. When the dog has mastered the target behavior, gradually reduce the number ofto 1 per 2 good actions, 1 per 3, per 4, and so on. In the end the dog should execute between 10 and 20 commands before getting a treat. Proceed in the following manner, keeping in mind the dog's age, and the fact that a puppy’s attention span is shorter than an adult's.
2-3 minutes of education
2-3 minutes of games and exercises 2-3 minutes of education
2-3 minutes of games and exercises
Continue moving on to a new exercise, always keeping the preceding exercise in mind. We recommend 2 sessions of 15 minutes each. Each time you move onto another exercise, this means that the dog has mastered the previous one. It is important to reinforce the already-integrated exercises by dedicating 30% of each 15-minute session to the exercises already mastered, and the remaining 70% to new exercises. Normally, in very little time, a dog should have understood and mastered the ten basic commands. After all, position within the family hierarchy is a way of life.
Summary of the Education Process
- Keep the education sessions short and frequent, and proceed gradually.
- Avoid prolonging the sessions, in order lo maintain the dog's motivation.
- End the sessions on a positive note.
- Begin a new exercise in an area free of distractions.
- The SR must be given at the precise moment that the dog delivers the correct response.
- When the dog behaves well, reward him every time.
- For the dog's best responses, allow for special .
- Before rewarding the dog, increase the quality 01 response you require.
- Expect that the dog must react faster, and that he must maintain his response longer. Postpone the reward so as to give him the time he needs to intensify his efforts.
- If the dog regresses, don't hesitate to go back to a less demanding quality of response.
- Practice generalization to consolidate what has already been learned.
- Once you have obtained the desired response, begin decreasing the rewards, while maintaining verbal congratulations.
- Wait for the dog to show you acceptable behavior repeatedly before rewarding him.