The definition in the dictionary for this term is "pathological" state in which there is a general diminishing of all psychic activities and that specially affects that affective behavior."
This definition would be perfectly applicable to the canine in world, because every animal alive can be potentially depressive. In fact recent experiments taken to effect inand apes to establish it.
The origin of depression
Depression can be of two types: endogenous or exogenous. The endogenous depression is characterized by the absence of apparent external motivation. On the contrary, the exogenous has its origin in the relation its environment (territorial affective and others) or in the lack of continuity of certain stimulus: sexual and hunting.
The endogenous depression
The main characteristic of this type of depression is the absence of unchaining external factors, although they can't be totally discarded, due that an apparent normal situation for us can be traumatic for a dog. In consequence, we find ourselves with the problem of not being able to establish an adequate sensibility suppression process. The genetic component, or hereditary factor plays a great role in these cases. To avoid this and other problems, it is of great help to follow a correct process of selection. As for the breeders when choosing a breeding stud, or for people when acquiring puppies.
The exogenous depression
As said before, the exogenous depression is motivated by external factors. Between the most frequent unchaining factor we should emphasize on:
- After giving birth depression
- Territorial unbinding depression: moving to another
- Affective and territorial unbinding depression: changing owners
- Affective and territorial unbinding depression: being left in a nursery or dog deposit while the family is traveling on vacation or being left at the of friends, parents or neighbors for the same reasons.
- Depression for sexual contact rejection
- Depression for rejection or the lowering of the level of the families affection
- Depression before the early eradication from the mothers blossom.
- Depression for isolation or lack of socialization with other
- Depression for the continuous breaking of rhythm sleep/watch
Independently from the origin of the depression the way in which they exteriorize it are similar: general apathy, lack of answer before any gratifying stimulus, somnolence, lack of appetite, excessive thirst, etc. These answers of the depressive frame can vary from one animal to the other, and it is possible for them to present one or several of them during the sickness.
Differences with human depression
The great difference with respect to that of a human depression is the lack of experience in this field inside the animals therapeutics, and in having to give great doses of time, patience, intuition and observation to arrive to a correct diagnosis with the participation of the owners, so much as in the sickness as in the adequate treatment. Remember don't talk and by consequence can't tell us what is going through its mind or what is happening with its body.
|Dog Behaviorist Agoraphobia Dog Depression How to prevent depression|