Dogs and poisons
Dogs naturally love to explore and touch, smell and taste new things. This means that the possibilities are high that your SAR dog may at some time ingest as poisonous substance. If you believe your SAR dog has in fact swallowed a harmful substance wash his mouth immediately to remove any remaining poisons. Contact your vet and/or the local Animal Poison Control Center. If you take your dog to a clinic bring the container of the substance which your SAR dog swallowed along with you to help in the diagnosis and treatment of your dog. Antifreeze is a poison thatfind sweet tasting. The symptoms a SAR dog that has ingested it will have are: convulsions, wobbling, vomiting, coma and sudden death. The best treatment for it is if sure that your dog has in fact drunk some antifreeze you should immediately induce vomiting and seek medical attention. Even with medical attention antifreeze can cause death. Chlorine is a cleaning agent that you should always keep locked away in a safe place. The symptoms a dog that has ingested it will have are: runny or irritated eyes, red mouth, vomiting, diarrhea and mouth and tongue ulcerations. The best treatment for it is to pour large amounts of water over your dog's mouth and eyes. Give him plenty of fresh water to drink and seek immediate medical attention. Your SAR dog can become poisoned by eating rat/mouse poison or even by eating one of these animals if the animal had previously ingested the poison. The symptoms a SAR dog that has ingested it will have are: convulsions, stiffness, hemorrhage, and collapse. One of the most common toxins used in the manufacture of rat poison is warfarin, which stop blood from clotting. The best treatment for it is different for each type of rodent poison and it depends on the active toxin in the ingested rodent poison as to what the veterinarian will prescribe as the best treatment. You should immediately seek medical attention taking with you the original packaging of the poison if at all possible.