Controlling a dog's weight
It's important to keep an eye on and control your dog's weight. To check your dog's weight, place your hands on his ribs and see if you can feel his ribs, if you cannot, your dog is overweight. Your dog may be eating too much or incorrectly. If you suspect your dog is overweight talk about it with your veterinarian. Follow these suggestions for a dieting dog.
- If your dog is dieting, try to only give him sixty percent of his normal calorie intake.
- If you normally feed your dog dry dog , reduce the amount that you would usually give him.
- Increase the amount of exercise your dog gets.
- If your dog is a lover and whines about being fed, do not give into it. Some , especially if they are bored, can turn into an obsession. If you give into this behavior, you can be contributing to your dog becoming obese.
- Talk to your veterinarian about dieting alternatives and about making a dieting chart for you to follow.
Basic dog training