Dog Car Travel
You can install in your family car a special pet gate that will allow your dog to travel safely in the back of your car. Not only is this gate important for your dog's safety but it will also help keep your car clean. If you cannot install one of these safety gates in your car it is also possible to get special safety belts made especially for. While it may restrict his movements it will not only help protect him in the event of an accident but will also help keep your dog from distracting you while you are driving.
Here are some pointers to observe when traveling with your dog in your car:
- To get your dog used to riding in the car take him on frequent short trips.
- Avoid feeding your dog before traveling.
- Cover the upholstery and carpet of your car with newspapers or old towels to avoid any costly accidents.
- Be sure to regulate the temperature in your car.
- Use window shades if the sun is too bright for your dog's comfort.
- Always take a water bowl and plenty of good clean water for your dog.
- Make sure to stop every few hours when traveling for long distances to allow your dog time to stretch, burn off excess energy and use the bathroom.