Dog Obesity can turn into a big problem if not treated correctly. Some of the sicknesses and complications it brings about are:
- Cardiovascular pathologies
- Malfunction of different organs that become infiltrated by fat
- Bone problems from having to carry an excess amount of weight
- Heat and exercise intolerance
- Chances of anesthetic and surgical interventions increase
- Deterioration of the reproductive system
The causes of obesity could be classified as:
- Eating disorders: When the dog eats too much and does not use up that extra energy.
- Genetic: Some breeds have a tendency to gain weight such as, Collies and Rottweilers
- Hormonal problems: hypothyroidism
- Spay/Neuter: Sometimes this causes a dog to gain excess weight
The recommended ways to treat these weight disorders is by:
- Reducing the amount of that is being given to the dog.
- Not give the dog leftovers or sweets
- Feed the dog in his scheduled times
- Give the dog a balanced diet
- Daily exercise
- Regular veterinary check ups.