what motivates dogs
Finding out what motivates your dog, learning where your dog has the biggest problem with distractions, breaking down your training goals into small easily attainable steps and consistent frequent positive training sessions are keys to a good beginning.Here are some questions you can ask yourself before you start your training program.
- Is your dog full of energy or relaxed?
- Is there a behavioral problem you've wanted to address but didn't know how?
- Does your dog have a long attention span? How does he respond to commands in the middle of distractions?
- What is his best-loved treat or plaything?
- Is he a quitter or does he stick with something till he gets it?
Learning about your dog's personality and manner of learning is absolutely important if you want to have a good time and be successful training your dog. Take time to find out what snacks, playthings or games hold your dog's attention. Realizing that your dog is an individual with unique tendencies and likes and dislikes will help you to make training enjoyable. Your dog will then equate learning with fun and you will have more success reaching your goals.