BARF Diet For Dog Made Simple!
One last very important point is that and cats are two different species and thus must be fed different diets. A cat is an obligate (true) carnivore and can only live very well by eating an almost exclusive meat diet. A dog on the other hand is more of a secondary carnivore and needs a mixture of different ingredients (meat, vegetables, yogurt, dairy, etc.) to satisfy its nutrient necessities.
Plan for BARF: Now I want to give you a basic explanation of how I prepare my dog's BARF diet. Of course this is just an example to demonstrate how easy it is for anyone to feed his or her pet a BARF diet. Please keep in mind that this example is only to offer information and actually the BARF diet may not be beneficial for your pet. Understand that there are many different methods and ways to plan and feed a BARF diet and what you must do is figure out what Biological Appropriate Raw
I have found that preparing my dog's pet in big amounts and then freezing the in meal size quantities works that best, is the easiest way to go about it and saves money as well. The recommended daily serving suggestion is one half pound of for every twenty-five pounds of doggie body weight.
BARF diet ingredients
- Work out how much whole raw you need to make for your situation. For pets that weigh fifty pounds, plan on giving them one pound of dog daily as this is usually the correct amount. So if you will need one pound a day you can make ten pounds at a time so that it lasts for ten days.
- To find the ingredients and provisions that you will need you can call wholesale meat and vegetable outlets for economically priced, good quality meat and vegetable foods. You can also talk with your neighborhood butcher where you can get your meat pre-ground and find fresh organ meats and bone dust. Another place to go for value foods is grocery stores which often have discount racks with good quality inexpensive produce.
- Now that you know where to find what you need its time to go out and do that shopping. All of these items can be used in a BARF pet diet.
Meat: lamb, chicken, beef, turkey, etc…
Vegetables: broccoli, turnip, celery, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, cabbage, dark or light greens, etc… (with vegetables diversity and variety is the key.
Plus: eggs, bone meal or bone powder, honey, apple cider vinegar, apples, organ meats, garlic, etc…
BARF Diet Preparation
Once you have all of your ingredients in the quantities that you will need you are ready to make Biological Appropriate Raw
To prepare the pet for your dog or cat you will need a processor and mixing bowls. If the meat you use is pre-ground from the butcher it will make your task easier. It is very important to always disinfect your counters before beginning with the preparation of .
- Put your ground meat to one side.
- Place an assortment of vegetables together with apples and garlic in the processor. After blending them well put into a bowl and put them to the side.
- Now blend your organ meats in the processor and put them to the side as well.
- Place some eggs together with their shells in the processor and process until the eggshells are finely blended.
- Now in a large mixing bowl put the meat, vegetables, organ meats, eggs and mix them up together. Here is when you want to add the honey, alfalfa, kelp, pre-ground flaxseeds, bone and Grapefruit Seed Extract to the mix. Be sure and combine all the ingredients thoroughly. The Grapefruit Seed Extract helps by killing bacteria or toxins that may be present during the preparation of the raw pet .
- Once all of the ingredients are well mixed together you can put them into freezer bags. Depending on the size of your dog, weigh out one meal per freezer bag. You can also put enough in each freezer bag for the entire days meals but this will depend on the size of your dog and the amount you will be giving it per meal.
- Freeze the BARF raw pet inside airtight freezer bags.
BARF diet servings
The best way to serve your pre-made BARF dog
Prior to serving your dog its BARF doggie you can add these supplements your dog's meal: multi-vitamin/mineral, Ester C, digestive enzymes which are very important for your dog's digestive system at the start of eating a new raw diet, probiotics and a blend of oils (your dog will need just a small amount).
Just mix the supplements into the and feed your dog.
Besides the normal whole raw petthat your dog will be eating you can also give it raw meaty bones, which will help keep its teeth clean and provide an assortment of important nutrients. You can also give your pooch the following as : table scraps, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts, raisins, fruit, cheese, etc… It is vital to remember that variety is the primary key to successfully feeding the BARF diet.
BARF and you: It is quite easy for anyone to put together and prepare a BARF diet for their dog especially when you prepare big amounts at a time this will help to keep the daily feeding from becoming complicated and time consuming.
It is best that you study up on feeding this type of diet before making any changes in your dog's diet. You will find that there are many books, web sites, research articles and pet nutritionists available and on hand to help you become familiar with how and why to feed BARF.