Puppy Intoxication - Rat Poison

After a period of apparent well-being, all of a sudden the following symptoms show up: your dog seems uninterested, almost indifferent, rejecting his food, and his saliva appears to have blood in it. First question: "Has he been poisoned?" Naturally, it's a possibility, yet not so probable. After a more precise analysis, other cause are usually found; intoxication are, in general, rare. Nevertheless, you should immediately head for the veterinarian. Giving carbon tablets or trying to make your dog vomit will only be more of a torture for the animal.Rat poison around dogs and puppies
When a dog weakens over a couple of days - in other words, not instantly – the saliva that comes out of his mouth has blood streaks and both his urine and feces are also blood-stained, you might be faced wit a poisoning with Dicumarol (a rat killer) ingested three to five days before. Dicumarol is the substance that inhibits coagulation killing rats and, unfortunately, other animals bleed from internal wounds – although they hardly ever die. Dogs can get intoxicated either directly or by eating an poisoned rat. The veterinarian has a special antidote (Vitamin K1) which must be injected during the subsequent days. If applies on time, the chances of being cured are very high.

If your dog starts losing his hair in locks, vomits occasionally or suffers from diarrhea or a skin rash, it can be a sign of another kind of rat poison: thallium. This poison is insidious, because it manifests itself slowly, which is why in most case people don't go to the veterinarian at the right time. There are special antidotes, but the treatment generally takes a long time.

seeFIDOObjectsRenal FailureIntoxicationPesticidesLocomotiveLeptospirosis