Train Dog to Heel without a Leash
When out with your dog it is your responsibility as the owner to keep him under control at all times. Teaching your dog to walk beside you while on ais one way to assure that he is constantly under your control. It is also possible to teach most to walk obediently beside you without a . Never hold these training sessions in an unenclosed area until your dog has proved his reliability beyond a shadow of doubt.
Begin practicing in a distraction free area away from other people or pets.
- With your dog on your left call him and show him a lure.
- Begin walking in a straight line while your dog follows the lure giving the command "Heel." Keep your left hand always ready to grab your dog's collar if he should become distracted.
- To teach your dog to stop give him the command "Wait" and while holding the lure in front of his nose kneel beside him. Place your left hand, palm down, under your dog's belly against his back legs to stop him from moving.
- To get your dog to turn to the right simply bend your knees and move your hand with the lure in it as you turn saying, "Heel." Your dog will have to walk at a faster pace to keep up with the promised treat. Make sure to treat your dog when he follows your commands and actions.
- To get your dog to turn to the left put the lure in your right hand and while guiding your dog by his collar with your left hand move the lure around to the left. Your dog should follow it.