Eggs are often added to homemade diets to add extra nutrition to dog diets. There is some concern about feeding raw eggs, mainly because they contain a protein in the egg whites that is toxic in that it is too large to digest. However, careful preparation and slight cooking can solve this problem. Here are some thoughts on how to prep eggs for consuming.
- Boil water in a sauce pan
- Remove boiling water from heat source
- Place eggs in cooling water
- Leave eggs in water for 5 minutes
- Remove from water and add to diet
- Use free range eggs
- Plan on 1 egg for every 10 to 15 pounds of your dog in order to provide adequate protein
- Cook them slightly for better absorption of nutrients
- Keep eggs in the refrigerator for a quick meal
- Check expiration date on eggs and always use before they expire.