Poisoning or Intoxication of Dog

Dogs have different tastes, for which garden plants, chemical products and even cough syrups can result to them as tasty as a bowl of dog food. Unfortunately, his common sense is not as develop as his gustatory papillae, reasons for which many dogs get intoxicated. The most usual causes are pesticides and medicines. Pesticides, in which are included insecticides, rat pesticides and herbicides, are usually at their reach.

Medicines are the second cause for intoxication, due that they are also left at their reach. Many dogs feel attracted to the plastic ant and cockroach traps, but this aren't a serious problem, due to the little poison they have: It's better to put this traps out of their reach, even if they only cause them vomits and diarrheas. Serious intoxication's are really scary. It happens fast and the symptoms vary depending on the poison . The truth is that once the symptoms appear. You have little time to save his life.

Intoxication is always an emergency that has to be dealt with immediately. When it happens, call your veterinary to see if you can help the dog some before taking him to the consult. His life depends of only a few minutes. On some occasions, what you do at home may save his life. Here are some recommendations of what to do when your dog gets intoxicated.

Identify the Poison: Rely as much information you can to the veterinary, this can quicken the adequate treatment he has to apply to the dog. For this reason, its worth trying to know what kind of product the dog has swallowed.

Smell His Breath: Petroleum derivates as gasoline or kerosene have a special and strong odor that is easily distinguished on the breath.

Observe if There is Hemorrhage: Dogs that bleed through the mouth, nose or anus could have swallowed a rat pesticide. This contains warfarin, a chemical product that causes hemorrhages.

Observe Its Mouth: If the lips and fumes show a red brilliant color, he cold have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

Look For the Cause: Take a look around your house and yard and see if there are empty packages that could have carry anything poisonous. See if there are any medicines missing. Observe if there are any chemicals lying around your yard. Dogs usually lick very dangerous substances from the puddles on the garden (for example anti-freezers).

Look In the Pantry: Some of our food, overall the chocolate, is harmful to dogs. The melted chocolate contains high levels of a toxic compound for dogs called Theo bromine. It takes only 110 grams to intoxicate a 14 kilogram dog.

Take the Proves With You: When you are sure of what dog ingested, put the rest of the substance in a plastic bag, or take the original receptacle to the veterinary. The labels on these products include important information of the ingredients it contains and, in some cases about first aids. If you give this information previously to the veterinary, he will be prepared before you get there. Intoxication does not always cause vomits, but if it does, take a sample and put in a plastic bag. Maybe the veterinary will need it to analyze it, and know what exactly your dog swallowed.

Home Dog Vet Dog Medicines Itching Remedy Problems Anal Sacs Halitosis Cure Hemorrhages Dog Constipation Dog Cough Dental Problems Diarrhea Drool Ear Problems Ocular Problems Dog Flatulence Fleas Filariasis Sun stroke Rash Intestinal Problems Pruritus Licking - Biting Nasal Secretion Greasy Coat Paws & Nails Intoxication Call Prostate Problems Change of Coats Skin Infections Sunburns Dog Ticks Urinary Tract Dog Vomiting Intestinal Worms